Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Doing the hard stuff!

This weekend was a tough one for a lot of those people I call friends.  The world lost a shining star in a tragic car accident last week and Sunday afternoon she was laid to rest.  Now I know that love and loss is an everyday occurrence, but this incident was especially tragic.  Not only because a 22 year old new teacher lost her life, but also because of the man that was there to help her. 

I am training to do a job that most think is crazy, or unthinkable.  I am learning to put my emotions aside and do the job and yet I am not sure that I could have done that, were I in his situation.  A very strong man, responded to a very horrific car crash, and then realized that it was one of his good friends in that car.  He very gently and very honorably helped remove her from that car, knowing there was no way to save her.  THAT my friends, is the definition of a friend, hero and paramedic in my book.

Hearing this story, I pictured myself, mother, wife, friend, and wondered if I could do the same.  Would I be able to suck in my emotions long enough to be that paramedic?  I am being taught to be that person, so I hope that I could.  Because in the end, you want someone you love taking care of you, watching over you, and helping you.

Go home tonight, kiss your children and your spouse/significant other.  Call mom or dad, let them know what they mean to you.  And then call that paramedic or firefighter or police officer that you know and tell them thank you.  Our jobs are tougher than you realize sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment